Amalgamating simple letters and words to create beautiful / credible pieces of writing is a talent that only a handful of people possess. IEEE Pakistan SYWSC is a conference that deems to celebrate every form of skill, energy and talent that the (members of IEEE Pakistan)/(students of Pakistan) have. The most soulful reflection of a human-mind’s true power, is through the words that it communicates. To harbor the thoughts and ideas that the brilliant minds of Pakistan possess, IEEE PSYWSC’18 Organizing Committee has brought to light a writing competition in harmony with it’s theme of “Artificial Intelligence and Connectivity Around the Globe”.
Theme and Scope of Entry:
The theme of this writing competition revolves around expression of the future prospective of the prevalent and ever-growing hyper-giant - “Artificial Intelligence”.
The writing competition has been divided into two main categories, one based on analysis of the growing possibilities and potential of AI and Connectivity around the Globe, the other based on spinning the time fast-forward into the future and foreseeing the possible effects of Artificial or Computational Intelligence. To help you further with the scope of entries for this competition, the topic choices for each of the two categories are listed below:
Category A: (Narrative/Story)
- An AI giant has taken over the world and nuclear weapons are ready to be used. You and Zulaikha are the only hope. Narrate a story.
- It’s 6a.m. You wake up to world of AI. You are preparing your car for driving school. Baymax delivers your daily pills. What’s next?
- A trip to mars with my robotic friend.
- My Robot family does not “mind”.
Category B: (Argumentative)
- To what point is AI reliable?
- Advancing Science and Islam
- “I don’t want to really scare you, but it was alarming how many people I talked to who are highly placed people in AI who have retreats that are sort of ‘bug out’ houses, to which they could flee if it all hits the fan.”— says James Barrat, author of Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era. To what extent do you believe AI can take over the world?
- Lives become easier with new technology but the capitalist markets exploit the situation. Should science be a race for money or a race for technology? Argue.
Participants are free to choose from among the topics for each category but each participant can submit only one entry per category. The winning article and story will have the privilege of becoming a part of the IEEE PIEAS Magazine and will also be awarded at the Award Ceremony of PSYWSC’18.
Eligibility Criteria & Rules:
Only the attendees of the PSYWSC’18 Congress can submit articles and stories for this writing competition. Participants are required to strictly follow the rules:
- Word limit for the Article: 700-2000
World limit for the Narrative/Story: 700-2000
- Plagiarism is strictly prohibited and any entry found with a hint of plagiarism will be disregarded from the competition.
- Articles can include citations from various reliable sources for reasoning and argument. Due credit must be given to the sources used in the article and story.
- All documents must be sent in word (.docx) file format with a font type: Calibri and font size: 11.
The judges will review and finalize the articles and narratives based on the following criterion:
- Relevancy to the theme, topic and category
- Creativity in expression of thought and argumentative reasoning
- Readability and flow of the article or story
- Appropriate use of grammar and words
- Originality and Innovation
- Comprehensiveness and conciseness of words and paragraphs
13th November 2018
Writing Contest: Odyssey to Future With Your Artificially Intelligent Pen-Pal
Updated on 2018-11-11T15:02:23+00:00, by .